FITNESS GOALS 4 MONTHS POST PARTUM

 

Yesterday the twins turned four months old.  It's so hard to believe.  Time just goes faster and faster with each child I have and especially with having the twins, I'm so busy taking care of two newborns I seem to have blinked and they are four months old! 


I worked out from the 15th-37th week of my pregnancy with them.  I did Barre Blend with Beachbody the entire time.  I absolutely love that program and am so glad I did it during my pregnancy.  It helped with flexibility, weight gain, back pain, and of course it helped me mentally as well. 




I like to workout for several reasons....

    1. I struggle with anxiety and physical movement is such an amazing way for me to manage that.  When I am consistently working out, especially first thing in the morning, I notice an incredible difference in my stress levels.  This isn't just me saying this either, it's scientifically proven that movement helps manage stress. So if you're feeling overwhelmed or deal with anxiety I encourage you to start a fitness routine and keep at it consistently.  You will see a difference almost immediately. 

2.  It's important to take care of your body.  When I don't workout, my back pain from my scoliosis is so unbearable, and I get heavier. We only get one body and if we don't take care of it, there are many issues that can come on from that. 

3.  I like to be able to play with my children without being exhausted.  When I don't workout it's hard for me to play with my children.  I get exhausted easily and don't enjoy chasing them around the yard etc.  With six children, I need to be in shape. 

4.  I want to be in shape for my husband.  I like that my husband works out and is strong.  He's very physically attractive to me and while I don't except him to have a 6 pack, because that's incredibly hard to maintain...I do appreciate that he is strong and has muscles.  It's ok to workout for your spouse and enjoy each other being strong fit and healthy.  Again, this will look different for each couple.  My husband and I communicate about this and he in no way expects me to be rock hard and have a 6 pack but we both enjoy and appreciate that the other person takes the time to work out and keep our bodies healthy. 

5.  I like to be strong and healthy for myself.  This isn't selfish or vain.  It's ok to like being in shape and being strong.  I like having toned arms and legs and feeling confident in my own skin.  No, I don't need to let it become an unhealthy obsession or be stuck on myself etc...that's not what I'm talking about.  But when I am in shape, it helps my confidence and fills my cup and that in turn makes me happier and allows me to better pour into the people I love.  It gives me the energy I need to take care of myself, my husband, my children, and my home.  


Those are a few reasons I like to workout.


So, like I was saying the girls are four months old now and while I've done some working out since they were born, it hasn't been anything consistent and I'd like to get back into a consistent routine. 


The first few months after birth it takes time for your body to heal and to get your baby on a good routine so I don't feel bad for not consistently working out but now the girls are sleeping pretty well and consistently and I feel it's time to get back at what I know makes me feel my best. 


I enjoy working out first thing in the morning the most.  I like to do fasted cardio and then weights. So here is my plan: 

Do 15 minutes of my favorite cardio program Insanity Max 30.

Do 15 minutes of Barre Blend.

Do one full weighted workout. 

That will take me about an hour to get through.  I LOVE insanity max 30 and I LOVE barre blend and I also LOVE lifting weights.  When I'm only doing cardio, I don't build the muscle tone I like, but when I'm only lifting weights, I don't have the endurance to chase my kids around like I like to. And neither weights nor cardio has helped my flexibility and back pain and glute strength like Barre Blend has. So I'd like to try out this combo of incorporating a little bit of everything I love daily! 

I'm also going to try to end my evening with 10-20 minutes of yoga. 

My plan is to get up at 5am which is when I've been getting up for the past two months now, and have my coffee, do my quiet time routine, and then start my workouts.  If the girls keep sleeping how they are now, I should be able to do all of that (even if they wake up for the day and need to nurse) by 7am.  My other four kids all get up at 7am.  So at 7am I can then take a shower and get ready for the day before starting our breakfast around 7:30am.

Obviously, if the girls have a really bad night of sleeping as newborns do when cutting teeth or getting a cold etc., my schedule might need some tweaking but that's what I'm shooting for.


For nutrition, I have started relearning the principles of Trim Healthy Mama.  If you followed me years and years ago, prior to my Beachbody Coaching days...you know that I used to do THM for several years.  It was my most favorite way of eating.  I never felt hungry, deprived, or anxiety about food.  I developed severe food anxiety during my time as a bb coach when I was using their container food system.  While I love their pre workout and shakes and bars, the food plan was very restrictive for me and caused a lot of issues around food.  I'm still working through some of that but I'm excited to be diving back into THM. 

I plan on doing a full post about THM but for now you can read more about it here on their website.  I have both of their books that explain it, and the first two cookbooks and plan on getting their newest cookbook.  They also have several very amazing FB groups, and an IG page.  The books and cookbooks are VERY worth the investment.  I use them daily. 


Detoxing off of social media and sugar (THM is a no sugar plan unless you decide to add in some of course) and adding workouts back in has been very...difficult interesting.  The last week has been full of realizations and humbling moments. But I'm here for it and ready to push myself out of my comfort zone to really become the person I know I want to be. 

I took my before photos for Day 1 of beginning multiple workouts and Trim Healthy Mama. 


Here are my photos from 37 weeks pregnant right before I went into labor:






(This was taken the night before I went into labor)

Here are my photos in the hospital 24 hours after giving birth:





Here I am at 9 days post partum:




And here I am today at 4 months post partum:
 I was 175 pounds when I went into labor.
I was down to 160 9 days post partum. 
I'm at 129 as of today 4 months post partum.
My goal is to lose about 9 more pounds and build muscle. However, if I don't lose any weight I'm really not worried about it.  Having muscle makes your body look totally different than when you don't so I'm not going to stress about the number on the scale since I'm within my normal weight range. 







And just in case you're feeling like maybe I "bounced back" so fast...
remember I have loose saggy skin and diastasis recti as well:



Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to me and feeling less than.  I used to literally look in the mirror every single day and cry or tell my husband he shouldn't tell me I'm beautiful etc. because I was so ashamed of how I looked.  I don't feel that way any more but it took years YEARS  of working on my personal development and self love to get to this point where I can now look at my stretch marks, saggy skin, and ab separation without feeling shame and disgust. 

My body created life six times and that is a miracle. No two bodies react to the miracle of creating life the same so don't compare your journey to mine. I'm simply sharing as an accountability for myself and an encouragement to other mamas to make time for yourself to take care of your body. 

Well that seems like a long enough post for today.  If you made it this far thank you for taking the time to follow along!  I'll keep coming back with updates.  Hoping to do so once a week or every other week on how it's going :) 

xo. 
Lauren 

No comments