Homemade Choclate Syrup & Homemade Granola

A few months ago I stopped buying my kids store bought chocolate syrup.  Actually it was about a year ago I stopped buying the Hershey's syrup because we cut high fructose corn syrup out of the kids diet completely and then a few months ago I stopped buying Nesquick's chocolate syrup because I wasn't happy with all the ingredients in that either.  So I then went on a hunt for a homemade sugar free syrup that the kids would like.  I was so happy to come across this recipe.  It's very delicious and super easy to make! WIN WIN situation :)  You only need about 1/2-1 tablespoon for a mason jar full of milk.  Yes, I just measured by mason jar because well...that's what we drink out of LOL.  My kids love it and honestly I love it too.  I'll share a secret with you...I sometimes drink it as a "dessert" when the kids are in quiet time.  No, it's not "on plan" with Trim Healthy Mama because of the honey but once you're at goal weight or if you're pregnant or nursing, having this every once in a while shouldn't affect your weight.  It's very healthy and I have no guilt giving this to my kids. 

Pure deliciousness!!!

This is how much syrup I get when I make it.

Another thing I had stopped buying was granola.  A lot of the granola you buy at the store has so much sugar in it and since starting THM our family is pretty much sugar free with the exception of a few things like chocolate chips :)  Anyway I hadn't bought granola in over a year and the kids and I have really been wanting some.  So I was on the hunt for a healthy granola recipe.  I came across this recipe while reading her blog (which I love her blog so much).  This recipe is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  I'm so glad I finally got around to making it because the kids and I are just in love with it.  My hubby likes it a lot as well.  Now the only downside is that it's not on plan with THM.  The maple syrup makes it off plan.  Up until a week ago I had thought maple syrup was ok in small amounts but apparently I was wrong.  However, maple syrup is like honey to me.  If you're at goal weight, pregnant, or nursing I am totally fine with having honey or maple syrup in small amounts.  If you find yourself gaining weight again, it might be something to try cutting out again though.  I am going to try to find an on plan recipe as well though. If you don't follow Trim Healthy Mama then don't worry about all of that :)  This recipe is very healthy and a wonderful alternative to the store bought kind that's filled with sugar.  I baked mine on one big cookie sheet and got 3 mason jars full. 




Well I hope you will try out these recipes.  They are so good and great for if you follow a whole foods diet.  

Happy Baking!!! 

Oh and just because she is so cute and this is what she was doing while I was taking these pictures :)


No comments